Discover Marlboro: The Hartshorn Building & Dexter’s Department Store

Still standing today, these photos show what the Hartshorn Building looked like in the early 1900s. Constructed during the 1890s, this building was noted to be “equipped with a new luxury, acetylene gas lights,” making it a desirable location for many businesses. 

During the early 1900s, according to Amodeo, Pagnotta, and Cosgrove’s book, Images of America: Marlborough, the Hartshorn Building housed a general store on the first floor, “The Marlborough Record office occupied the second floor, [and] the third floor was once a meeting place for the Advanced Lodge of Odd Fellows.” 

In 1939, the Arno Clothing Company opened in the newly remodeled Hartshorn Building, manufacturing women’s apparel, including sportswear, suits, coats, and skirts. The second floor was used for the company’s cutting room, while the third floor housed sewing and pressing machines. 

At this time, Library staff is unsure of how long the Arno Clothing Company operated here, but by 1953 there is record of the building housing a movie theater. 

The Hartshorn Building was also home to a barbershop and a dentist office at one time. 

In the parking lot that is adjacent to the Hartshorn Building, used to stand Dexter’s Department Store run by Edward B. Dexter. From 1896-1918, this store sold dry goods, men’s wear, and shoes. At some point following Dexter’s death in 1918, the building housed Dr. Petker’s Pharmacy, which burned down on February 12, 1954.    


Amodeo. E., Pagnotta, J. & Cosgrove, J. (2012). Images of America: Marlborough (p. 46, 48). Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing. 

Clearwater, A.T. (Eds.). (1907). The History of Ulster County, New York (p. 618-619). Kingston, NY: W.J. Van Deusen. 

“Marlborough Business Section Destroyed By County’s Third Fire in 24-Hour Span, Movie Crowd Files Out As Flames Are Threat.”( 1954). The Kingston Daily Freeman.


Mahan, M. (2009). Marlborough on my Mind (p. 153). Bloomington, IN: iUniverse. 

“New Structure for Marlborough.” (1897). Newburgh Daily Register. 

“Sportswear Factory is now Operating with Partial Staff.” (1939). Wallkill Valley World.

Read More