Built in 1922, under the service of Father James Hanley on the former Oddy property, this church continues to serve the Marlborough community today. The Gothic Revival style church plans were drawn up by local Poughkeepsie architect, John P. Draney, who designed many churches and public buildings in the Hudson Valley. Mrs. Jova, of Roseton's Jova Brick Works, donated all of the exterior bricks. The parish hall just up the road was built in 1958. According to Images of America: Marlborough, prior to the construction of this church, Catholic “mass was celebrated in Marlboro every two or three weeks at the Pleasant View Hotel (present-day Raccoon Saloon), or in private homes.” Starting in 1867, mass was held in the old Methodist Meeting House on the corner of Bloom Street and Main Street (present-day Route 9W). This building still stands today and is used as an automotive garage. In 1900, the church was legally incorporated as a parish.
"A 100 Years Young- A Time for Us.." (2000). St. Mary's Parish, Our Lady of Mercy Chapel, Church Directory.
Amodeo. E., Pagnotta, J. & Cosgrove, J. (2012). Images of America: Marlborough (p. 37). Charleston, SC: Arcadia Publishing.
Cochrane, C. (1887). The History of the Town of Marlborough, Ulster County, New York: From the First Settlement in 1712, by Capt. Wm. Bond, to 1887 (p. 129). Poughkeepsie, NY: W.F. Boshart.
"Poughkeepsie Architect Dies." (1938). Kingston Daily Freeman.
Rhoads, W.B. (2011). Ulster County New York: The Architectural History & Guide (pgs. 121-122). Delmar, NY: Black Dome Press Corp.
Town of Marlborough Bi-Centennial Committee (1978). Picture Book: As We Were- As We Are: Marlborough-Milton. NY (p. 43). Saugerties, NY: Hope and Farm Press Bookshop.Read More