The Starin Children’s Room is dedicated to the memory of Mildred Devito and Sidney Jeffrey Starin who bought the Mill House in 1947.
After raising four children here, Millie took action to protect the site for the community. In 1973, she placed the house on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1979, she helped create the Foundation for the Gomez Mill House with the descendants of Luis Moses Gomez. And in 1984, she sold the property to the Foundation under the condition that it become a museum and public access historic site. The Starin's were the last Mill House residents in a line of families that date back to the 1700s.
Seen in this room is a four-poster bed and a fireplace, with a carved wooden façade and mantel, which was made and installed by Dard Hunter. He also added the tile he acquired in Delft, Holland. An upholstered slipper rocker can also be seen in front of the fireplace. A portable blackboard stands to the left near the bookcase.
Featured here is Millie & Jeffrey Starin photographed in 1960.
Featured above is a photograph of Millie in 2009. Millie sadly passed away in April 2022, at the age of 99. Today, the Foundation honors Millie’s vision by working to bring the history of the Gomez Mill House forward so everyone can enjoy and learn from its remarkable stories.